Women’s ice hockey completes weekend sweep of Penn. State

Yesterday, the Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team outshot Penn. State 53-25 en route to a 5-1 victory

Saturday afternoon at High Point Solutions Arena featured much of the same.

Nicole Brown scored her first goal of season, the Bobcats outshot the Nittany Lions 59-14, and Quinnipiac went on to win its third game of the season by the final score of 4-0.

“I liked our energy better today, I thought we built on yesterdays game,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said. “Each period we got stronger and stronger today.”

Brown’s goal came with 14:58 left in the second period. Amidst a pile of bodies out in front of the net the sophomore was able to put the puck past the left side of Penn. State goalie Celine Whitlinger to give the Bobcats a 1-0 lead. Amanda Colin was credited with an assist.

The Bobcats out shot Penn State 22-3 in the first 20 minutes, but couldn’t come up with a goal to put them ahead. Whitlinger was able to stop everything that came in her direction.

Quinnipiac got its best scoring chance in that period came with just over four minutes left to play in the period. Junior forward Nicole Kosta took possession of the puck on the left side of the net. She quickly crossed to Morgan Fritz-Ward, who snapped a wrist shot off of the pad of Whitlinger.

Brown’s goal early in the second period, however, gave the Bobcats an insurmountable lead.

Junior goalie Chelsea Laden took care of the rest, making 14 saves and recording her second shutout of the season.

“I feel like having 17 starts under my belt really helped me get ready for this year,” Laden said. “I’ve had a lot of practice, and I have Quinnipiac shooting on me every day at practice, so I was definitely prepared for this year.”

“She just looked solid,” Seeley said of his goalie. “I thought our back-check was great today, and our defense was just solid. She was a rock for us.”

Freshman Emma Woods gave the Bobcats some insurance, scoring less than two minutes into the third period. She gathered the puck out in front of the Penn. State net and blasted into the upper right corner for her third goal of the season. Nicole Connery was given the assist.

Then, with 13:50 left, Shiann Darkangelo tipped in a goal of her own front out in front of the net, putting Quinnipiac up 3-0. It was her third goal of the season as well, putting her in a tie for the team lead with Woods.

Minutes later Nicole Connery scored her second goal of the season to make it 4-0. Woods and Kelly Babstock were each given an assist.

With the win Quinnipiac moves to 3-0-1 on the season. The Bobcats travel to Maine next weekend.