Basketball stays on the grind

This past week the Quinnipiac women’s basketball team played three significant games that would ultimately determine their position going into the North Eastern Conference play-offs.

The Bobcat’s won their first game of the week last Monday against Fairleigh Dickinson University, who currently sits in the No. 11 seat for the NEC standings. During the first half the teams constantly battled over the lead. However, with strong efforts from both freshman Monique Lee and senior Helen Ridley the Bobcat’s took a 51-44 lead, with almost 16:00 left in the game. Lee netted 16 points and pulled down 10 rebounds during the game. As the clock continued to tick, the Bobcats’ continued to increase their lead, bringing them to a 69-53 victory over FDU. Both freshman Hannalee Pervan and sophomore Krystal Pressley contributed over 10 points, Pervan netting 12 and Pressley pouring in 14 for the Bobcats’. This game marked the first time this season the Bobcat’s shot over 60.0% in one half, during so in the second half, shooting 18-for-27 in the final stanza.

The Bobcats’ were not as fortunate in their battle against Robert Morris on Thursday, Feb. 24. With the exception of final few minutes of the contest, the Colonials controlled the scoreboard throughout the duration of the game. At half time RMU had a 30-26 lead and came out firing after the intermission, increasing their lead within the first few minutes of the second they took a 41-32 lead. However, the Bobcats played strong and used teamwork to bring the QU deficit down to one point.

With three minutes left in the game, junior Jackie Harris brought the Bobcats to their first lead in the game, after she made six straight free-throws. With only 1:00 left, Robert Morris tied the game at 64-64, and the score stayed deadlocked at the end of regulation.

As Quinnipiac entered overtime for the first time this season, RMU took a 74-68 lead with less then 3:00 left. Quinnipiac could not come back after this deficit, losing 76-70. The loss snapped the Bobcats’ four game winning streak. With the win, Robert Morris climbed into the second seat in the NEC standings, dropping Quinnipiac No. 3.

In Quinnipiac’s game against Monmouth University on Saturday, Feb. 26, the last of their three games for the week, things started off much like they did in their game against Fairleigh Dickinson as neither team held the lead for long during the first 15 minutes of the game. Monmouth did however take an seven point lead at halftime, 31,24.

Nine minutes into the second half, things began to look much worse for the Bobcats as Monmouth took a 46-33 lead. The ‘Cats continued to fight for the lead but were unable to pull ahead and the Hawks edged out their fifth straight win to pull into a fourth place tie with Quinnipiac in the Northeast Conference standings.

Ultimately Monmouth brought themselves to a 69-57 victory, shooting 23-for-31 from the free throw line for the game.

Currently the Bobcats are tied for the No. 4 slot in the NEC. The final game of the regular season will determine Quinnipiac’s final standing. If the ‘Cats were to defeat St. Francis (N.Y.), they would clinch sole possession the No. 4 slot. Even if they lose, as long as Monmouth loses their final game to Wagner, who is 2-15 in the NEC, QU will still retain the No. 4 spot due to the second NEC tie-breaker, which looks at record against the conference leader, St. Francis (Pa.). The Bobcats are 1-1 against the Red Flash while the Hawks lost their only meeting of the season, a 83-78 road loss.

The only way the Bobcats will slip to No. 5 is if they lose, and Monmouth defeats Wagner.