Semester At Sea resumes as ship undergoes repairs

After two weeks of sightseeing and learning to surf in Hawaii, junior media production major Peter Gallay, along with more than 600 other students and crew members participating in Semester as Sea, resumed their travels.

The students and crew attended numerous meetings about what the group should do, after their boat was forced to dock in Honolulu, Hawaii when it was severely damaged by a 50-foot wave that crashed into the ship during a storm in the Pacific Ocean on Jan. 27. The ship was stranded just a week after its departure.

At the time, officials were unsure about whether the remainder of the Semester at Sea would take place at all due to the gravity of the damages.

It was eventually decided that students would be transported by plane to their next three locations before being picked up by the repaired ship and continuing the rest of the journey by boat.

After some initial difficulties with scheduling flights, students boarded United Airlines planes in four separate groups, and headed to their next three stops: China, Hong Kong and Vietnam.

Currently, the students are still in Vietnam and, if all goes as planned, will be picked up by the ship, the MV Explorer, in the next week or so.

To stay updated with the travels of Gallay and the other Quinnipiac students aboard the MV Explorer, log on to his Web site, www.ptg127.com.