Following family footsteps

[media-credit name=”Megan Maher” align=”alignright” width=”198″][/media-credit]Chris Desilets knew he was always destined to hold a leadership position, and he believes he is ready to lead the Class of 2017 as president.

As an undecided business major from Upton, Mass., Desilets spent his time in high school devoted to the Distributive Education Clubs of America, as he was co-president for the state chapter.

“My experience in high school has led to this,” Desilets said. “I don’t feel out of place at all, I feel very at home at the front of the table.”

Even though he was not involved in student government in high school, Desilets always liked being a leader and knew that being involved in Quinnipiac’s Student Government Association would be beneficial for him.

“I know how great of an organization it is, and I know it’s a lot of fun,” he said. “Coming here, and seeing how much [SGA Student Body President and brother] Matt [Desilets] loved SGA, I knew it was something I wanted to be involved in.”

Matt believes that his brother is ready to take on his role as president.

“He’s very driven and he’s someone who likes to succeed.” Matt said. “It’s funny to see him in my realm now.”

Matt thinks that since he and Chris will be working together in the SGA, the experience will bring them closer together as brothers.

“It’s something I’ve gotten so much from” Matt said. “He now has the same opportunity which is great for him personally and to continue to grow professionally.”

When the campaign for SGA took off on Sept. 4, Chris began knocking on doors in the residence halls and getting to know the members of the freshman class.

“I hit every dorm at least twice,” Chris said. “I hung up posters, but it was based on just meeting people.”

Chris’s hard work paid off on Sept. 11, when he was voted into office with 398 votes.

While Chris says it will be hard to find a time for the freshman cabinet to meet, he believes that the meetings will be easy considering how well everyone cooperates.

“I love our SGA family,” Chris said. “I think we have a really good cabinet this year, and I’m really excited.”

Travis McMurray, the vice president for the Class of 2017, is excited to be involved in SGA and to work with Chris and the cabinet.

“Everyone really cares about everyone, and everyone really wants everyone to do their best,” McMurray said.

McMurray feels that he and Chris will work well together.

Even though it will take time for Chris to figure out how SGA works, Matt believes that his brother will easily adjust to his new position.

“It’s a big learning experience coming into SGA” Matt said. “No one really knows what they’re doing until they’ve had some experience with it, but he’s got what it takes personally and professionally right now that will help him transition into the role”

As president, Chris made a promise that he would work his hardest. He plans to remain passionate and dedicated while he is in charge of the Class of 2017.

Jordan LaCross, one of the newly elected SGA freshman representatives, believes that Chris is very positive and outgoing.

“He knows what he’s doing,” LaCross said. “He’s very studious, he’s very on the ball, he’s going to be good at this job.”

Anisha Manglani, another newly elected representative, is also looking forward to working with Chris and the rest of the freshman cabinet.

“I really believe in Chris’s potential.” Manglani said. “He is not only grounded and humble, but he is also strong in his leadership abilities.”

Chris is excited to begin meeting with his cabinet and already enjoys his position as president to its fullest extent.

“It’s one of those jobs where you wake up every day, and it’s not a job,” he said.