Love and Theft headlines Fall Fest

Love and Theft will be headlining SPBs Fall Fest on Sept. 28.
Love and Theft will be headlining SPB’s “Fall Fest” on Sept. 28.

Country artists Love and Theft, Ashley Monroe and Canaan Smith will perform at Quinnipiac on Sept. 28 for Fall Fest, Student Programming Board announced Thursday afternoon.

In place of having a fall “concert,” SPB is hosting a fall festival, which will feature three different country musicians performing on the Quad from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. The festival is free for students, with the exception of refreshments available at food trucks.

“We feel Love and Theft along with the openers Ashley Monroe and Canaan Smith will provide a fun atmosphere for students,” SPB President Robert Grant said. “We have always wanted to do a country show and our surveys have shown it was long overdue.”

In years past, the fall show has ranged in genres. There were Neon Hitch and Girl Talk in 2012, Hoodie Allen, Sam Adams and 3OH!3 in 2011 and comedians James Smith and Bob Saget in 2010. This year will be different.

Fall Fest will be free to students and guests, and, unlike fall concerts in the past, will not require a ticket for admission. In order for guests and alumni to come, they will need to go through the university’s visitor registration system.

“For now we will have extra security on hand, but that is typical for any show we have put on,” Foley said. “It is all about students having fun, but we need to make sure students are being safe as well as the performers.”

Stephen Barker and Eric Gunderson makeup country duo Love and Theft. The two were nominated for the CMT Music Awards Country Duo of the year award after their popular hit, ‘Angel Eyes,’ hit No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart. The pair is currently on tour with Tim McGraw while promoting their new single ‘If You Ever Get Lonely.’

Country singer-songwriter and member of musical trio Pistol Annies, Ashley Monroe recently released her sophomore album, ‘Like a Rose,’ which was rated one of the best albums of 2013 by Rolling Stone. She is currently on tour with Train, with plans to tour continually into the fall with Hunter Hayes.

After gaining popularity after the release of his first studio album, ‘We Got Us,’ Canaan Smith has previously toured with hit country acts such as Sugarland, Dierks Bentley and Darius Rucker. His second album is due for release later on this year.

“All three acts together I believe will make for a great show and hopefully have something that will appeal to everyone,” Foley said. “It is mainly about the atmosphere and the fun laid back atmosphere of a country concert.”

Grant and Foley both said they have received a lot of positive feedback regarding Fall Fest.

“I think since it’s right on the Quad, and not to mention free, the outcome will be fantastic,” sophomore John Patrick Hogan said. “I love Love and Theft. I’m a big country fan, so I was excited when I heard that name announced.”

Grant said SPB appreciates any kind of feedback from the students, as it is difficult to satisfy every student at the university.

“Bringing country to QU has been long overdue and something I believe students had been asking for,” Foley said. “Also even if students don’t like country music because Fall Fest has other added features to look forward to.”

That is the sentiment of sophomore Alison Silverman.

“I’m personally not a country music fan, so it’ll be cool to go, but the music isn’t really my thing,” Silverman said.

Foley said she thinks having a country music festival will appeal to more students.

“In general though, I think it is more than the specific artists, but that is a country show,” Foley said. “Country music fans know to expect a good show with a great fun atmosphere.”

[polldaddy poll=7291966]