Freshmen have big impact

The Quinnipiac women’s basketball team recently played what could be considered one of the biggest games in team history. The Bobcats hosted the Syracuse Orangemen on Nov. 28 in Burt Kahn Court. Even though the team suffered a 65-61 loss, the Bobcats can look to the performances of two young players for inspiration.

Freshman Hannalee Pervan and Monique Lee fueled the Bobcats attempt at an upset of gigantic proportions. Both freshmen wasted no time to record their first career double-double. Pervan, a native of Toronto, Ontario, scored a career-high 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in 27 minutes off of the bench. Lee, hailing from Lynn, Mass., was in the starting line-up and proved she belonged there, scoring 10 points and ripping down 11 boards in 24 minutes on the floor.

Each girl’s performance showed coach Tricia Sacca-Fabbri they are ready to contribute.

“Hannalee Pervan and Monique Lee brought a tremendous amount of energy to the game and they really put the ball down for us,” said head coach Tricia Sacca-Fabri.

Sophomore Krystal Pressley continued her great play as she lead all Bobcat scorers with 14 points, including a pristine 4-4 from the charity stripe. Fellow second year player Nicole Duperron added 10 points for Quinnipiac.

Syracuse out shot Quinnipiac 40.4 to 39.7 percent from the field for the game and had a 63.2 to 56.0 percent lead at the free-throw line. “We outplayed Syracuse except for when it came to the foul line,” said Sacca-Fabri.

With the loss, the Bobcats fell to 1-3, while the Orangemen boosted their record to 4-0 this season.

After the game, Sacca-Fabbri expressed the team’s frustrations with coming just short of such a major win.

“It stinks when you get so close and you know you could have done a couple of different things, and it wasn’t there.”