Student strives to save the world

Get involved, stay focused, meet new people, make a difference, and oh, save the world too. That is what junior Quinnipiac student, Sara Fisher works to accomplish everyday.

“I know I’m not perfect and I know I’m an idealist and it may not be possible to save the world, but I hope the little things I do will leave their mark,” Fisher said, who has a slim girlish figure and long blonde hair.

Although Fisher’s main focus is her studies, her latest project involves working with David Ives, director of the Albert Schweitzer Institute, to start a new chapter of the United Nations Association at Quinnipiac University.

“Our focus will be on poverty and international relations, and basically I hope by creating this chapter that we can gain more recognition for the Albert Schweitzer Institute and Quinnipiac so that students can benefit from this,” Fisher said.

She hopes that students will take advantage of the chapter she is helping to create, and is glad for the chance to make more connections for students.

Fisher is also a resident assistant, a student center manager and a part of both the Alternative Spring Break Committee and Summer Institute Committee sponsored by the Albert Schweitzer Institute.

With so much to do, Fisher barely has time to say hello, and usually has her head down as she races off to her next commitment. If you catch her attention though, this lighthearted girl will surely flash you a smile.

“I used to be involved with a lot more on campus,” Fisher said. “But I have learned it’s not the number of things that you do but how much you do within those things that make a difference.”.

Fisher is currently majoring in the independent study of politics, ethics and culture. Since she has to juggle the discipline required for independent study and her extracurricular calendar is full, she runs on a tight schedule.

“Someday I hope to go to law school and then work for the White House,” said Fisher. “But for now I’m focusing on my studies here and working on making a difference here. I dream big, but I know I have a long way to go.”

Although Fisher understands that not everyone enjoys being as busy and involved as she is on campus, she encourages students to explore the different committees, and emphasizes that each one is different. Since there are so many to choose from, she believes that anyone can find a club that appeals to them.

Fisher passionately believes that even one person can make a world of difference.