Women’s field hockey eye NCAA tournament

The Bobcats had a rough start to their game against the Maryland Terrapins played Sunday, September 26 in Baltimore, MD. The Terrapins’, Lauren Powley, a junior from Mountaintop, PA, scored the team’s first goal only five minutes into the game. Not 10 minutes later the Terrapins’ Paula Infante, a sophomore from Santiago, Chile, scored the team’s second goal, putting Quinnipiac behind in the game before the blink of an eye.

Maryland, the No. 1 team in the country, was a robust 11-1 coming into the game with the Bobcats. After their fourth game against a top 10 team this season, the Bobcats have only been able to muster a mere two wins in eight tries (2-8), and are 1-1 in conference play.

Although goalie Erin McKay, a junior from Norwood, MA, made 23 saves, both a season and career high, the Terrapins still were able to tally four goals, adding two more in the second half, and blanked QU 4-0. The two goals came within the first 11 minutes of the second half. Tiffinay Marsh, a junior from Marathon, NY, scored off a deflection of a penalty corner and Emily Beach, a junior from Behesda, MD, scored off a rebound from a shot that had been initially saved by McKay.

The loss gave the Bobcats’ their eighth loss the season, three less than the 11 games the team lost all of last season. The ‘Cats are 2-0 at home, a 1-0 win over the University of Rhode Island Rams and a 4-1 victory of Fairfield University Stags. Including the team’s first two home games this season, the team is a perfect six for six at home over the last two season’s and 4-3 versus conference opponents overall.

The team’s biggest weakness this season has been their offense. They are averaging a dismal .90 goals per game, a significant difference to the 3.40 goals the team allows. They have been shutout five times thus far, matching the same total from a year ago.

Eight Bobcats have tallied points so far this season, led by senior Chelsea Osbrey with seven. She also leads the team in goals (three) and is tied for the team lead in assists (one) with six other players. She also leads the team in shooting percentage with a .300 mark, going three for 10.

The ‘Cats have two more home games remaining this against Lock Haven (Oct. 8) and St. Francis PA (Oct. 10). With three more NEC on the schedule against St. Francis PA, Robert Morris and Sacred Heart, QU has a chance to put themselves in a good position to the make the NEC tournament which begins on Oct. 29 and hope to make a repeat appearance at the NCAA Tournament and face the Atlantic 10 Champion.