Awards swept by Quinnipiac

The men’s baseball team achieved an unusual triple crown this week when three players received NEC awards for each of their performances.

Patrick Egan earned NEC Pitcher of the Week, Albert Marano earned NEC Player of the Week and freshman Wilson Matos earned

NEC Rookie of the Week.

“It feels good to be recognized by the NEC and it’s good to see my teammates getting recognized too,” Egan said. “This season has been going very well so far, we have had some big wins but its not just one or two guys doing all the work, it’s the whole team offensively and defensively.”

Egan is a sophomore from Rocky Hill, Connecticut. While attending Rocky Hill High School, Egan was named State Player of the Year for basketball by the New Haven Register and the Hartford Courant.

In his freshman year at Quinnipiac, Egan played both basketball and baseball. Dominant on the hardwood, Egan is no slouch on the mound.

Egan posted a 0.64 earned run average in his two starts against Wagner and Mount St. Mary’s this season. Egan allowed just four hits in a complete game shutout against the Mountaineers. Against Wagner, Egan struck out six batters, and only gave up one run off five hits.

Egan is currently sporting a 2.77 earned run average with a record of 3-1. His ability to keep batters from touching home plate finds Egan ranked in the top ten in the NEC.

Matos has been a much needed spark to the Bobcats’ offense. A freshman from Larchmont, NY, Matos has continued his success on the diamond. In his senior year at Mamaroneck High School, Matos helped lead his team to a Section 1 Championship, beating perennial baseball powerhouse North Rockland High School, en route to the state tournament.

Matos’ week included three home runs while batting a healthy .303. Matos ended the Mount St. Mary’s game in the seventh inning with a single that drove in Brian Sabatella.

Matos plated six Bobcats in one game against UConn, which gave him a total of 13 runs batted in for the week. Matos ranks second in the NEC for total runs batted in. Look for Matos to continue his dominance at the plate, as he sets the table for the Bobcats.

Marano was selected as the NEC Player of the Week. While attending Bishop Hendrickson High School in Rhode Island, Marano led the entire state in home runs.

Things haven’t changed this season as Marano was tied for the league home run lead with four round trippers at weeks end. Marano hit .517 in the eight games. With his six hits for extra bases, which included three home runs, Marano posted a robust .931 slugging percentage. Marano is also sure handed in the field, committing only three errors in the season.

Egan, Matos, and Marano still have a lot of work to do if they and their teammates want to advance to the NCAA tournament. “Our true tests our going to come against Central, Monmouth and St. Francis which will show the true character of this team,” Egan said. “I think the biggest thing our team needs to do is remain focused on the task ahead and take it one game at a time.”