Softball has tough time with PC Friars

Cold and dreary March weather carried into the diamond as the Bobcats lost its home opener and both games of the doubleheader to Providence College, 5-3 and 11-5, on Thursday, March 25.

Picked to place second in the NEC by the pre-season coaches’ poll, QU, 3-9, has now lost six of its last eight games, including a loss to Providence in the season opener in Kissimmee, FL.

The ‘Cats looked like the 2003 team, for most of the first game. They were down 1-0 early, but a nice throw to home plate kept Providence, now 13-6, from scoring a second run.

QU gained a 3-1 advantage in the third inning, after junior shortstop Sarah Collins belted a three-run homerun over the right-centerfield fence. Collins finished the doubleheader with two homeruns, including a grand slam in game two, four hits and eight RBIs.

Pitching was either make or break for Quinnipiac and Providence. QU freshman starter Jessica Skaare pitched four solid innings allowing only two runs.

“She’s been throwing great for us lately,” Collins said.

When senior pitcher Melissa Reynolds, who suffered the loss, took over in the fifth inning, Providence began chopping away at their deficit.

In the fifth inning the Friars scored a run and then capitalized in the sixth inning. A solo homer to leftfield tied the game at three. Defensive flaws cost QU chances at ending Providence’s scoring threats. A low throw from third base in the sixth opened the door for Providence who took advantage of the mistake to score three runs. A two-run bomb to leftfield, which proved to be the game winner, gave Providence a little breathing room and a 5-3 lead.

“She had a tough game, but is still throwing hard, she will be getting back into it,” Collins said.

The Bobcats were not as successful. They had the bases loaded in the bottom of the fifth inning, but a base running error abruptly ended any chance the ‘Cats had of scoring some insurance runs.

Defensive mistakes also allowed Providence to capitalize on the Bobcats. A low throw to first base in the sixth inning preceded one of the Friars homeruns.

“We thought we had the game,” Collins said. “We got caught on our heels a couple of times.”

On the other side of the diamond, Providence Friars pitcher Cori Van Dusen recorded a complete game. She allowed three runs on two hits and fanned five Bobcat hitters.

The final game of the doubleheader featured sophomore Kim Norman on the mound for the Bobcats. She pitched 5.1 innings and recorded five strikeouts.

Sarah Collins opened up the scoring for the Bobcats with an RBI single in the first inning.

The score stayed 1-0 until the top of the fourth inning when the Friars stormed back to take the lead with two two-run homeruns in the inning. The first shot came from Friars sophomore shortstop Elena Romero. The second blast came off the bat of junior first baseman Jaclyn Treveloni.

The Bobcats regained the lead at 5-4 when Collins hit a grand slam in the bottom half of the fourth inning.

The Bobcat celebration did not last long as the Friars exploded for seven runs in the sixth inning to seal the Bobcats’ fate, an 11-5 loss. Collins and lead-off hitter Alyssa Mansolf both had a pair of hits for the ‘Cats who fell to 3-7 with the loss.

Quinnipiac lost their next game at home against the University of Maine 7-0. The ‘Cats were only able to muster two hits, a double Jenna Henry and a single by Nicole Otten.