Esidore wins award

On Monday, Feb. 16 the 6’1 senior from Portland, Conn., Sara Esidore of the Quinnipiac Women’s Basketball team, was named the Northeast Conference Player of the Week after an astonishing three-game stretch in the matter of seven days.

“I did not expect player of the week at all. I was so caught up in all of our games, at the end of the week I didn’t even realize I had a shot at it,” Esidore said.

The senior forward averaged 21 points, 5.7 rebounds, shot a .510 from the field line, was .467 from the three-point range and 10-10 from the free throw line.

“I was very surprised when I found out I won it and then I felt honored,” Esidore said. “It was a nice honor to receive at the end of my senior year.”

At Fairleigh Dickinson, Esidore contributed 19 points to the team’s score. In the Bobcats’ game against first-place St. Francis (PA) on Saturday, Feb. 14, Esidore had 31 of Quinnipiac’s 55 points. “Our game versus St. Francis…was probably our strongest point this season. Even though we lost, we came within 2 points of knocking off the #1, undefeated seed,” Esidore said. “We also gained confidence through that game because now we know that we have what it takes to beat them, and we cannot wait to face them again.”

With two contests remaining in the season, Esidore is averaging 13.9 points per game, making her ninth in the NEC. She is the second leading scorer on the team behind fellow senior, center Ashlee Kelly and has scored over 20 points in four out of the last eight games.

Esidore has been a leader of her team throughout the entire season, being the highlight of many games. After a tremendous career at Quinnipiac, it will be tough to replace Esidore in the lineup next season, she has been an extremely valuable piece to the Bobcats’ puzzle of success.