Jazz concert to benefit school music programs

On Sunday, Feb. 29, Quinnipiac University will be hosting the SportsMusic Benefit Concert. The concert will consist of two acts with the proceeds benefiting the “Horns for Kids” (“H4K”) program of the Great Connecticut Jazz Festival.

Terry Cashman, most famous for his song “Talkin’ Baseball (Willie, Mickey and the Duke),” will share the stage with the jazz octet Roomful of Blues.

Cashman’s career has spanned over thirty-five years, and includes founding Manhattan Transfer and writing hits songs such as “Sunday Will Never Be the Same.” He is an icon to sports fans around the world and is known as the “Balladeer of Baseball.”

His music ranges everywhere from pop and rock to country and rhythm and blues.

Roomful of Blues was founded in 1967, and received their fourth Grammy nomination for best traditional blues album in 2003. They have been called “the biggest little big band in New England,” and even Count Basie has called them “the hottest blues band [he’s] ever heard.”

The horn-driven band currently has an album on Alligator Records entitled “That’s Right,” which mixes traditional blues with a touch of swing.

“H4K” is a non-profit organization that aims to promote music programs in school. This subsidiary of The Great Connecticut Jazz Festival hopes to encourage children to pursue a life filled with music. They do this by holding events such as the SportsMusic Benefit Concert and awarding grants to deserving school music programs.

Music departments from Connecticut schools can apply for grants of up to $500 by visiting their website. Music enthusiasts can support “H4K” beyond the concert as well. Their website also offers people and organizations the opportunity to donate instruments for school children. Those who donate prior to this weekend will receive a free ticket to the SportsMusic Benefit Concert.

This is the first time that a concert such as this is being held, and the sponsoring organization hopes for a supportive turnout. Tickets for this event are $30 for non-Quinnipiac students and $10 for QU students with ID. To reserve tickets in advance, call 1-800-HOT EVENT or go to www.hornsforkids.org. The show begins at 6 p.m. in Alumni Hall.