Sex, wieners and boobs debuts at Quinnipiac

Sex aka wieners and boobs – some people may think this is a new type of porn shop. But it is not. It is the newest comedy sponsored by Fourth Wall, the theatre group on campus, and directed by David Band and Russell Anderson.

“I went to Fourth Wall and said I know this play is a little funky,” senior mass communications major Brand said. “But trust me. I know the students will love it. They trusted me and now we are directing a show.”

The show is called, ” Sex aka Wieners and Boobs” and was written by David Wain. Wain is also the creator of The State” and co-director of “Red Hot American Summer.”

“I found the play when I was looking at the “Red Hot American Summer” website. They said it was the best thing they have ever written,” senior mass communications major Anderson said. “I carried it around with me for six or seven months before I even gave it to Dave.”

Anderson went on to say Wain was a huge influence in his life.

“He is the origin of both [Brand and Anderson’s] humor,” he said.

Brand said he was looking for a play all through the summer and nothing spoke to him. He was happy when Anderson found the play.

“I hesitated at first. I knew it would be risky,” Brand said. “But the students at this University have been begging for a comedy.”

Originally, the idea to direct a play was Brand’s idea. He thought it was more of a challenge and something he wanted to take on during his senior year.

“I had the idea for directing, but I knew I was in over my head,” Brand said. “Russell understands the humor more than me. I needed him for the technical part of the show.”

Directing has been challenging for the two students and directing a play such as “Sex aka Wieners and Boobs” was no easy task.

“With directing you have to be on the same page as your actors and on the same page with the message of the play,” Brand said. “This play does not really have a message. There are just a lot of sketches put together.”

“The play feels like a high school talent show,” Anderson said. “There is a time for seriousness. People need to remember that not everything needs to be meaningful.”

Brand added that since the play is a comedy and needs to be done perfectly in order for the jokes to be followed.

“The play needs to be done perfectly. The actors needed to play off each other and if they miss their line or their cue then the audience will miss the joke,” Brand said.

Acting has helped Brand in his quest to be a director. He stated his acting background helped him relate to the actors.

“You have to be a good actor to be a good director. You need to be able to look at the script and know what the characters what want from each other,” Brand said. “Directing is hard in general because you have to pay attention to so many aspects.”

But both directors agree that the experience was very positive.

“When I am doing a scene, there is nothing like seeing it come together,” Brand said. “This is what I live for. It makes and breaks my day.”

The play is made up of 10 actors, two musicians, Anderson, Brand, and Niki Levine, a senior mass communications major.

“It really helped being surrounded by such amazing actors and people I really trusted,” Brand said.

The actors in “Sex aka Wieners and Boobs” also loved the experience in being in a student run play. Greg Solon, a senior mass communications major, believes the play was very challenging.

“Since it is an ensemble play, I am playing eight different people. I am still in the process of discovering these people,” Solon said. “But with the help of Dave and Russell, I know we are going to pull it off.”

First time actor Steve Logothetis, a sophomore mass communications major, said he was very happy with his first acting experience.

“I don’t think I would have lived working in a more serious play,” Logothetis said. “I really think I this is the place I should be. I am happy that they took a chance on me and called me back.”

“Sex aka Wieners and Boobs” opens this Friday and will run both Saturday and Sunday. All shows start at 6 p.m. and will take place in Buckman Theatre. All proceeds will be going to Fourth Wall.