Christian Fellowship celebrates Super Bowl

A Super Bowl party for the Christian fellowship was held in Buckman Theater on February 1. In what organizer Matthew Tortora called, “A great turnout,” about 30 students showed up as the attendants watched the game on a large projection monitor.

Tortora, a junior who organized the event, has been with Christian Fellowship for two years, and is involved in a committee known as the Student Leadership Team (SALT).

Consisting of ten members, this group decides what events will take place and when.

Although the Super Bowl party was a Christian Fellowship event, members were encouraged to bring their friends.

“The more the merrier,” said Tortora. The [Christian Fellowship] group wanted to organize an event for all,” he continued. “It was so [students] could have a good time. That way, they could build relationships in a comfortable setting.”

Every year the Christian Fellowship has a party during the Super Bowl. It was advertised on the Christian Fellowship website. However, Tortora explained that this was the first time that the party was held in the Buckman Theater.

This particular party had been in the planning stages for about three weeks. At that time, both the party itself and the room reservations were made.

The event was organized with food consisting of various kinds of chips, as well as sodas.

Mitchell Raymond, who is not a member of the Christian Fellowship, attended the event.

“My friend, Emily Pember, [who is in the Christian Fellowship] suggested it to me, and told me it was going to be on a big screen,” said Raymond.

Although the turnout was smaller than expected, people who attended the event still had a very nice time.

“The crowd wasn’t as big as I’d anticipated but I enjoyed it a lot. It was a roller-coaster Super Bowl.”

Pember, a senior, who is a member of SALT felt that the event was a great way to get together with friends.

“I came to the Super Bowl party mostly to hang out with friends and see people I don’t usually get to see. I’ve come every year,” Pember said.

Heather Johansen said she went to the party because she was looking for New England unity.

“I’m from Boston, so I love the Pats and I wanted to watch it somewhere that I wouldn’t be interrupted by people more concerned about the partying part of the night,” Johansen said.

For freshman, the event offered an enjoyable experience and a chance to meet new people.

“I’m a freshman, so this was my first Super bowl on campus. I actually didn’t know that we would have the big movie screen to watch the game on, so it was better than I expected.” Johansen said. “I’m very happy I attended, especially since the Pats won!”

The Christian Fellowship meets in Room SC 218 on Mondays from 12-1p.m., Wednesdays from 2-3p.m., Thursdays also from 2-3p.m., and finally Fridays from 12-1p.m.

General meetings are held on Thursday nights from 7:30 – 9 pm in SC 207. People can visit the website at http://christian.fellowship.tripod.com