Hillel to host holiday party

Hillel will begin their holiday festivities early this season by hosting a Chanukah Party on Friday, Dec. 12.

Even though Chanukah is much later this year, the organization decided that by having the party before finals those in attendance could alleviate stress by celebrating one of Hillel’s biggest events of the semester.

“We try to focus more on social aspects rather than religion,” senior biology major Deb Floch, president of Hillel, said. “Hillel here at Quinnipiac is mainly focused on the social aspects of being Jewish. Our goal for the organization as a whole is to provide a means so that Jewish students in the Quinnipiac community can meet and socialize.”

The party will take place in Buckman Room 129 at 5 p.m.

“We expect anywhere between 20 to 30 people,” Maya Sobolev, vice president of Spiritual Events, said. “Dinner will be served and we will be having lots of food.”

Similar to past parties where holiday gifts and wooden Menorahs were distributed, Hillel is hoping to have a grab bag of gifts, Floch said.

“Our goal is to have a good amount of participants there,” Sobolev said, of the event, which was organized by the entire e-board. “I always like to see new faces, all of different backgrounds, come to events and see what it is all about. After all, college is about learning and experiencing the unconventional to broaden one’s horizons.”

Hillel’s upcoming events include taking a trip to New York City to the Jewish Museum, viewing a Broadway play, “Golda’s Balcony” and Boomer’s Bar Mitzvah, an event that was held last year for the first time.

All those interested in becoming a member of Hillel can contact [email protected].