QU athletes of the month awarded

Now that the calendars have been switched to November, many students have shifted their attention to finishing the semester with a strong academic effort. Quinnipiac sports fans have also changed their focus from the field hockey team’s run at the NCAA tournament to ice hockey and basketball. Many have been quick to forget or even ignore the efforts of a fall team that is still competing like a champion.
The men’s and women’s cross country teams have been running hard all semester and this has not changed with the seasons. Both teams had members who were named Quinnipiac Athlete’s of the Month. Senior’s Carolyn Robin and Thomas Martin each claimed the honors for the month of October. The winners are determined by the voting of all the head coaches here at Quinnipiac.
Robin is currently a fifth year senior, majoring in both biology and education. After an illustrious high school career highlighted by All-America honors in the Junior Olympics, Robin came to Quinnipiac with aspirations of greatness. These aspirations have not only been met, they have been exceeded. As a sophomore, Robin was named outdoor and indoor track MVP. Following this, she achieved All-Northeast Conference honors in cross-country and was named MVP in outdoor track and cross-country in her junior year. As a senior, Robin was named women’s outdoor track MVP, among other honors she received and records she broke. All of Robin’s accomplishments can be viewed on the Quinnipiac Athletics web page. This year, Robin continued to excel as the leader of the women’s cross-country team. Head Coach Shawn Green describes Robin as an intense and inspirational leader. “Carolyn is a competitor,” said Green. “When she toes the line, she wants to beat those around her.” It is clear that her presence will be missed in the years to follow.
Martin is currently a fourth year senior majoring in Physical Therapy. Before Quinnipiac, he achieved All-America honors in the steeplechase. He was also a three-time All-State selection in the steeple. Once he arrived at Quinnipiac, Martin wasted no time asserting himself as a promising young runner. As a freshman, he was Quinnipiac’s top finisher in the NEC Championship and attained All-America honors for his fifth place performance at the Junior Nationals. In his sophomore year, Martin continued to prove his abilities as he achieved All-NEC cross-country honors and was an Academic All-American. Martin continued his excellence as a junior by earning All-New England honors for his seventh place finish in the New England Championships, among other achievements. As a senior, Martin has yet to disappoint any of his coach’s expectations. His achievement as Quinnipiac Athlete of the Month for October is a testament to that. Coach Green calls Martin a selfless leader. “Tommy’s an incredibly hard worker and he’s focused on improving himself and his teammates,” said Green.
In addition to both athletes’ individual achievements, the men’s and women’s cross country teams performed well on their biggest stage this year. On November 15, the teams competed in the NCAA Regional Tournament. The men’s team put forth an amazing performance, finishing tenth out of 33 teams. The top five finishers for the men were Michael Charron, 39, Jeffrey Roginielewicz, 43, Mark Driscoll, 51, Martin, 57, and Greg Brink, 96.
The women also ran hard, finishing twenty-ninth in the field of 36. The top five finishers for the women were Robin, 49, Heather Hoffman, 162, Lisa Zino, 175, Sarah DeFreitas, 181, and Danielle Green, 198. Robin said the team’s performance in this meet was encouraging for the future.
“It’s hard to run well at a big meet because it’s easy to get lost in the crowd, but we showed some strong competition,” she said. “We came really close to beating some competitors in our conference that beat us at NEC’s. I think our team is just beginning to get stronger, so now they will have to watch out for us next year.”
While this tournament marked the end of the season for both teams, neither can be disappointed in their performances over the season. Both teams have run hard and have accomplished great feats as both teams and individuals. While the teams will have the winter to practice, they will anxiously await the start of next season, one that promises to be as exciting as this year’s.