Editor’s office

A tale of two Miamis. Miami University, located in Ohio, was able to pull off the upset victory over No. 20 Bowling Green at home. Bowling Green, which has one of the most potent offenses in the country, was held to 10 points, its lowest point total of the season. Miami forced three Bowling Green fumbles to lead the defensive charge. On the flip side, the other Miami, located in Florida, did something it had not done in recent memory; lose two weeks in a row. The Hurricanes fell to the visiting Tennessee Volunteers 10-6 in a game filled with Miami miscues. The back breaker came with under two minutes to go in the game when Miami fumbled a punt which was recovered by the Volunteer special teams. Two Casey Clausen kneel downs sealed the Hurricanes’ fate. With the loss, it seemed as though the Hurricanes had played their way right out of the national championship picture but then the lights went out on other top 25 teams…Losses by both No. 3 Florida State and No. 5 Virginia Tech helped to keep Miami’s slim BCS bowl birth alive. The Seminoles and the Hokies both had one loss coming into the weekend; coincidently both losses came at the hands of the Hurricanes. The Seminoles fell to Clemson 26-10 and the Hokies lost at rising Pittsburgh 31-28. Heisman hopeful Larry Fitzgerald of the Pitt had eight receptions for 108 yards and one touchdown. Hokie QB Marcus Vick threw two picks and completed eight of his 15 passes. The favorites for the BCS championship game look to be Oklahoma, USC, and LSU. Doesn’t look like it will be a highly watched Sugar Bowl…The Oklahoma Sooners appear to be in total control of college football. Their 77-0 win against Texas A&M showed that the Sooners will not be denied this season. Quarterback Jason White had five touchdown passes. Two Oklahoma running backs had over 100 yards rushing. The Sooner defense only allowed the Aggies to accumulate three first downs the entire game; and one of those was due to a penalty. In a complete show of dominance, the Sooners gained 639 total yards while A&M compiled 54 yards on 46 plays. I cannot remember the last time when the national champion was decided in the first weekend on November…Penn State coach Joe Paterno may be on the way out. After the Nittany Lions’ 17-7 loss to lowly Northwestern, they are now 2-8 overall and 0-6 in Big Ten play. Maybe Paterno stayed too long, or maybe his players aren’t playing to their potential, either way, he will probably retire at the end of the season…