Hundley named NEC Rookie of the Week

Kalyn Hundley, a 5’11” freshman, has many accomplishments to be proud of. Last week she was given another award to, she was named NEC Rookie of the Week.

Hundley was a four-year letter winner while playing for the Gulf Breeze High School volleyball team located in Gulf Breeze, Florida. She was also a four time all-area selection. She led her team in blocking for the past two years with 37 blocks in 2001 and 53 blocks in 2002, respectively.

Hundley was able to receive this perstigiuse award thanks to a great week in which the women played Providence College. In the 3-0 loss to the Friars, she recorded 11 kills and two aces. She also successfully made three blocks, three digs, and had one assist in the match.

The title of NEC Rookie of the Week is unlike any award Hundley has ever received in her life but is one she had been striving for from the beginning of her volleyball career here at Quinnipiac.

“I was so surprised but incredibly happy at the same time,” Hundley said. “This was a recognition I had in my eye since the beginning of the season.TIt was a goal I wanted to achieve and I’m so excited to have this honor.”

Hundley has had a remarkable rookie season for the Bobcats thus far. She leads the team in blocks with .84 per game, is tied for the team lead in service aces with 24, and is currently second on the team in kills with 2.29 per game.

“It was an awesome feeling to know I had won this recognition out of all the freshmen in the NEC conference,” Hundley said.

Some may say it was in Hundley’s blood to achieve such high athletic standing. Both of her parents were members of athletic teams during their college years. Hundley’s mother was a member of the Nichols State volleyball team. Her father participated in the University of Tennessee at Martin’s football program.

As the team approaches the end of their season, they have recorded five wins while tallying 16 losses. They have three regular season games with and two potential tournament games remaining.

With the abilities of Hundley and the 12 returning players for next season, the Bobcats will build on the successes of this season and learn from their mistakes in the hopes of improving for next year.