CAP reaches out to community

The Community Action Project (CAP) held its annual Community Service Conference this past Saturday, Nov. 1, and offered students opportunities to get inspired about volunteering in their community.

During the course of the day, students were able to listen to a keynote speaker and volunteer their time at area agencies.

“Our main goal is to get the Quinnipiac community aware of and inspired by community service,” Katie Pataska, CAP’s co-president said.

According to Pataska, this year’s theme for the conference was “Changing Seasons, Changing Lives,” and was inspired by a quote by Gandhi which says, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”

Carleen Roy-Butler, the advisor for CAP, had nothing but high expectations for the conference.

“I hope that the students who participated took positive ideas away from the conference, and learned more about outside programs, ways they can get involved, and also why volunteering is so important to the community,” she said.

The conference began at 9 a.m. with a complimentary breakfast and an inspirational lecture by Heidi St. Peter. St. Peter is the director of the Outreach Center at the Joseph House in Burlington, Vermont.

St. Peter spoke to students about the benefits of community service and shared her inspirational story.

“The purpose of the speaker was to get students excited about the day ahead, and to give them concrete ideas on how they can improve their community,” Roy-Butler said.

Later in the day, students were able to choose from a variety of non-profit groups in which to volunteer for the day, including Special Olympics, CT Trails Girl Scouts, New Haven Home Recovery, United Way, the West Haven Animal Shelter and Connecticut Food Bank.

Students were transported courtesy of CAP to the various agencies, where they assisted in projects such as counting inventory, painting, cleaning and helping out however needed.

The participants then returned to campus, where they were served lunch and took part in workshops which reflected the service they had just performed.

“We want students to learn how to stay involved in community service and what they can do to continue their service,” Pataska said.

Pataska, along with co-president Nicole Murphy and the members of CAP, were in charge of coordinating and planning the entire event, according to Roy-Butler.

“As an advisor, I’m just here to advise,” she said. “The girls took care of the rest.”

According to the Quinnipiac website, CAP is a community service organization that’s main goal is to encourage students to join in community service on campus.

In addition, the organization looks to reach out and assist in meeting needs in the Greater New Haven area.

CAP strongly encourages all students to participate in volunteer services and helps individuals become involved in projects that interest them.

Those students interested in becoming involved with CAP should contact: [email protected].