Editor’s office

To continue in the season long tradition of teams moving from one conference to another, New Mexico State and Utah State of the MWC, Mountain West Conference, have decided to replace two of the three departing schools in the WAC, Western Athletic Conference. Early this year, Southern Methodist University, Tulsa, and Rice, all of the WAC, agreed to move to Conference USA to replace that conference’s 4, possibly 5, departed teams. The four teams leaving Conference USA for the Big East for the 2005-06 season are Cincinnati, Louisville, Marquette, and DePaul, with South Florida possibly making a similar migration. These teams will go to the Big East to off set that conference’s loss of Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College to the ACC for the 2005 campaign. Got all of that? Good…The best wide receiver in college football before the season started was Texas wide out Roy Williams. His lack of productivity has caused him to slip from the top spot and has made room for Pittsburgh receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald, a sophomore, tied the NCAA record for receiving touchdowns in consecutive games with 13 which ties the mark set last year by Michigan State wide out, and now Detroit Lions’ player Charles Rogers. In those 13 games, Fitzgerald has 23 total touchdowns. In 7 games so far this year, he has 14 touchdowns. He is two away from tying the single season school record of 16, set by Julius Dawkins in 1981. Roy Williams who…The reason West Virginia was able to upset number three Virginia Tech was because the Mountaineers used Tech’s game plan against them. West Virginia rushed the ball 57 times for 264 yards. With that kind of rushing game, quarterback Rasheed Marshall only had to throw the ball 14 times and did not throw an interception. The Mountaineer defense also forced the Hokies into four turnovers, including three INT’s by starting quarterback Bryan Randall. West Virginia doubled the total yards of Tech, 426 to 211. The Mountaineers will now have bragging rights in the Virginias till next year’s game in Blacksburg…The Heisman Trophy race is still anyone’s for the taking. B.J. Symons of Texas Tech struggled against Missouri, throwing three interceptions. Cadillac Williams of Auburn only had 61 yards rushing against LSU. NC State quarterback Phillip Rivers was only able to lead his team to a 28-21 win at perennially bad Duke. Players who were thought to be contenders like Williams, Kellen Winslow of Miami, Craig Krenzel of Ohio State, and Chris Perry of Michigan have all underachived this season leaving questions not only in the minds of voters, but also in the minds of NFL scouts who will be in charge of finding talent for the 2004 draft…