Culture Shock 1/23

The Year of Beyonce
She performed “The Star-Spangled Banner” at The Presidential Inauguration, she’s the Super Bowl XLVII halftime performer, she just launched a personal blog on Jan. 21 titled “Beyhive,” where fans can read what she’s “reading, doing, loving, wearing, hearing,” and her documentary premieres on HBO Feb. 16. Beyonce’s killin’ it to say the least.

Boy Band Galore Summer Tour
Let your inner fangirl rejoice! Beginning May 31, New Kids on the Block, 98 Degrees and Boys II Men will be touring in The Package North American Tour. Dig out those embarrassing T-shirts with the boys’ faces on them, and make sure you get your ticket on Feb. 2.

Dunham leaks “Girls” six-year contract
Creator and star of the show, Lena Dunham, told Alec Baldwin on his podcast, “Here’s the Thing” Jan. 21 about her six-year contract with HBO according to The Huffington Post. Looks like fans have nothing to worry about; “Girls” is here to stay for the long run. It’s already snagged two Golden Globes two episodes into Season 2.

Country Stars Pending Nuptials
Brantley Gilbert received the present of a lifetime on his 28th birthday. The country singer proposed to girlfriend, Jana Kramer, formerly Alex on “One Tree Hill” and up-and-coming country star. She promptly accepted on Jan. 20.

Beiber Twitter Fever
Justin Beiber has the most followers on Twitter as of Jan. 22 for a total of 33,340,747, surpassing Lady Gaga, the previous title holder. Entertainment Weekly reported Lada Gaga was happy for Beiber, and tweeted at him, “So proud of @justinbieber and all the Beliebers! I’m only happy to see your fans growing in size, you all deserve it! Monsters support you!”

Lohan refuses DWTS deal
Lindsey Lohan rejected a $550,000 offer from Dancing With the Stars because she doesn’t want to do reality TV according to TMZ. As her personal and career failures stack up, people can’t help but think of the saying “beggars can’t be choosers.” She’s lucky to have any offers at all.

Barbara Walters Hospitalized
The long-time broadcast journalist and current host on the daily talk show, The View, missed a step and fell on the stairs at the British ambassador’s residence in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 19. Her colleague at ABC, Jeffrey Schneider, announced over the weekend that she was “alert” and still in the hospital “out of caution” according to Huffington Post.