Fourth Wall Theater Club welcomes new membership

Creativity is climbing high on campus with Fourth Wall, Quinnipiac’s student theatre organization. The club provides opportunities for not just actors or directors, but for artists and musicians as well.

Fourth Wall Theatre is formerly known as the Theatre Workshop and is not to be mistaken for the main stage productions funded by the Liberal Arts Department during the fall and spring semesters.

The organization leaders, Juniors Allison Clark and Shawn Grindle, both double majoring in media production and theatre performance, want Fourth Wall Theatre to grow into an organization that is widely recognized on campus.

“This campus has a very strong artistic presence that is not nearly showcased enough,” Grindle said.

Fourth Wall Theatre is trying to bring people with various artistic interests together as a means of producing student-run performances throughout the year.

The motivation behind the renaming of the organization to was due to the common mix up between the formerly known Theatre Workshop with the main stage productions, which are put on by Dr. Crystal Brian, Associate Professor of Theatre.

Since students can receive credit for the main stage theatre performances, confusion between the productions was occuring.

“People would think we were part of the main stage productions,” Clark said. “They didn’t see us as a two separate entities,” she continued.

Productions that are scheduled to start in November are “Sure Thing,” a play by David Ives, the executive director of the Albert Schweitzer Institute, and “Private Eyes,” written by Steven Dietz.

Fourth Wall will be hosting a series of events for students to get involved in. For instance, members of the organization will be holding a play-writing competition during the year.

The plays are submitted before the start of winter break, and two are selected and read by the board members of the Fourth Wall Theatre.