QU Eats promotes healthy living on campus

Many students wander through the cafeteria in search of a healthy meal that’s also satisfying. Lindsey Corak, a senior health science student, is one of them. That’s why she founded a new club, QU Eats, which aims to promote healthy eating among students the campus.

“So many members of the campus community are interested in healthy eating and living,” Corak said. “It seemed like a no brainer to start up a nutrition club for the students.”

[media-credit name=”Shannon Corcoran” align=”alignright” width=”200″][/media-credit]
Senior Lindsey Corack, founder of QU Eats, hopes the new organization will act as a liason between students and the administration.

Corak leads weekly meetings on Tuesdays to educate the 25 active members about making smart choices in the café. The club raises awareness about the importance of a healthy lifestyle, especially during the end of the semester, when stress levels are high and the likelihood of students relying on Red Bull and candy to push through the last days of the semester is prevalent.

Currently QU Eats is working to increase their presence on campus through social media. As the number of members continues to grow, Corak hopes to reach freshman and educate them about preventing the dreaded freshman fifteen. Corak said she mainly uses power point presentations at her meetings, and has a booth promoting QU Eats’ goals at Quinnipiac’s Earth Day celebrations.

“It’s really awesome to be an advocate for this lifestyle on campus and help educate students on making smart meal choices,” Corak said.

In the future, Corak wants QU Eats to work with the administration to add the option of a nutrition major or minor,as well as be the liaison between students and Chartwells to communicate how food can be improved in the caf.

Although students have been supportive of the club, Corack said Dana White, assistant professor of athletic training, and Becky Purcell, professor of chemistry, are the reason QU Eats has accomplished all it has this semester.

“Both professors have been amazing and such a big inspiration for me,” Corack said. “Without their constant support and stream of knowledge, the organization wouldn’t have been so successful, and we’re only halfway through the year.”

If you want to learn more about the club, check out Facebook.com/QUEats, or on Twitter @QU_Eats.