Game Room provides entertainment for students

The staff of Quinnipiac’s Game Room, located upstairs in the student center, is working to make many improvements in the recreational facility.

The staff’s goal for the Game Room is to provide a place where students can always find something to do, whether it is stopping by in between classes or during a homework break.

The Game Room is a place where many commuter students like to spend their free time between classes.

“We come here everyday, since we are commuters. It kills the time,” said freshman Ted Koly, alongside fellow freshman Lauren Polletta.

“Generally, I like the Game Room,” said Polletta. “It’s located right in the middle of everything, and we are able to eat our lunch in there too.”

A few extra quarters lying around can be used for a game of pool. The tables only cost fifty cents, and will soon be under renovation.

“We’re working at fixing the pool tables, and we have recently got new sticks,” said junior Nancy Provod, a work-study employee of the Game Room.

The staff is also entertaining the idea of inviting a “trick shooter” to the facility, who would teach interesting and impressive pool shots.

Occasionally the Game Room holds free tournaments and other events for students to get involved in, such as pool tournaments, with prizes.

“Free prizes? Well now that’s tempting,” said freshman Kristin Donovan.

According to Mehgan Belanger, a junior journalism major, and Game Room manager, the pool tournaments are a very popular event.

“During the tournaments, all of the tables are filled,” said Belanger. “There are at least eight teams.”

The Game Room also offers a variety of arcade games.

“Aside from ‘Cruisin U.S.A.’, we have all new games in the arcade,” said Belanger.

For those running low on funds, as many college students are, there are some free activities such as a new foozball table, darts, ping pong tables, TV, card tables and computer access.

According to the Game Room staff, more weekend events are being planned.

“We’re planning on holding more tournaments and open pool nights with free pool and free food,” said Belanger.

In addition, students can take advantage of purchasing $6 movie tickets for any show at any Showcase Cinema.

“The tickets are always on sale in the Game Room, but they tend to go quickly,” said Provod. “Students can pay for the tickets with cash or Q-card.”

The Game Room is open from 10 a.m. to 12 a.m. on weekdays, and from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. on weekends. And, no matter what time of day, the Game Room is entertaining someone.

“During the day there’s a lull of people in and out of here and in the evenings there’s usually around fifteen kids,” said employee Chrissy King.

“But it does get busy, especially during midterms and finals for a break from studying,” she continued.

According to King, new additions are a regular occurrence in the Game Room.

“We just got a TV and we haven’t had that before,” she said.

“The foozball and ping-pong tables are new. We should hopefully be getting new computers in here soon; they’re always talking about that,” King added.

Several students enjoy what the Game Room offers.

“I come here to play some ping pong and pool,” said freshman Andrew Dargis. “It’s a good place to hang out and have a good time.”