Q.U.A.D. brings after dark events to Quinnipiac

“Ed Kovacs and I got in front of the camera and made a music video to the song,’Baby Got Back’.”

This is just one of the memories that Anthony Vindigni, a sophomore Criminal Justice and Legal Studies major, has about a past Q.U.A.D. event.

Knowing that people were embarrassed, Vindigni and Kovacs broke the tension and made people feel more comfortable by being the first to make an attempt at a music video.

This is just one example of the many events available through Q.U.A.D. (Quinnipiac University After Dark).

Q.U.A.D.’s mission is to plan and provide social activities to students on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 p.m to 1 a.m.

The idea of after dark activities started about three years ago. Its main purpose was to give students alternative late night activities.

Last year Ed Kovacs, the advisor of Q.U.A.D., and the Associate Director of the Student Center, welcomed the students to help plan activities.

Meetings are held on Tuesdays at 11 a.m. in the Student Center in Room 213. They last for approximately one hour. At these meetings, events are planned.

Popular past events have included acoustic nights, and psychic readings, where students have had questions answered such as “Will I pass my final?”

Other events include Q.U. Idol, which is a program similar to the TV show, American Idol.

There are also craft nights, which consist of decoupage and scrap booking, as well as Build a Bear workshops, and Midnight Breakfasts, which are held in the cafeteria and in the past have fed about 200 students.

Students are motivated to attend such events because it does not cost them much to participate

“Pretty much everything we do is free,” said Kovacs.

In addition to getting involved at a low cost, students have the opportunity to win prizes at some events.

Bingo, held once a month, is always a big hit with students. Hundreds of dollars of gift certificates and prizes are given away.

“Q.U.A.D. is always up for anything and would like new and exciting ideas,” said Kovacs.

“The events that are planned are not my call, I’m just the advisor,” he added.

Yet, according to Kovacs, the campus would benefit from the involvement of other clubs and co-sponsored events.

Past members of Q.U.A.D. have nothing but fond memories of the club.

Dawn Miller, former member and sophomore liberal arts major, said, “Being able to have input of what goes on at night was the best part [of her experience with the organization].”

According to Vindigni, “programming at a smaller scale level,” is beneficial to the campus in terms of student involvement.

Members of Q.U.A.D. aim to get more students participating in the Quinnipiac community.

“I would like to see Q.U.A.D. expand more on the campus,” said Vindigni. “Since we program events for the weekends, from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., we usually get a particular group of people that aren’t feeling the party scene.”

“The expansion of Q.U.A.D. to reach more of the Quinnipiac campus is my goal for this year.”

To become part of Q.U.A.D., please contact Ed Kovacs at x8673, or via email at [email protected]