Director of Student Health Services passes away

Quinnipiac University lost its long-time director of Student Health Services on Monday Oct. 29.

Kathryn Macaione died at Yale-New Haven hospital after a brief illness, according to a statement from the university.

“The University was saddened to hear of the passing of Kathy Macaione, the director of Student Health Services who dedicated 42 years of service to Quinnipiac,” Vice President for Public Affairs Lynn Bushnell said. “During her career, Kathy touched the lives of literally thousands of students, faculty and staff who respected her professionalism, compassion and dedication to providing high-quality care and educating the university community about the many benefits of living a healthy lifestyle. She will be sorely missed.”

Macaione first came to Quinnipiac in 1970 and served as the director of the Infirmary at Irmagarde Tator Hall. During her time at the university, Macaione expanded the infirmary into what is now Student Health Services. She also helped plan and organize the annual free flu clinics at Quinnipiac.

Macaione was widely recognized in the nursing community. She was the founding director of the Connecticut College Health Association of Nursing Directors, and was chair of the organization from 1994-1996. In 1985 Macaione received the Women in Leadership Award and awarded the Florence Nightingale Award for Excellence in Nursing in 1995.

The Tau Rho Chapter of the International Honor Society for Nursing inducted Macaione earlier this year, recognizing her work as a nursing director.

Macaione leaves behind her husband, two children, a step-daughter and four grandchildren. She was 75.

Funeral arrangements have been made at the Blessed Sacrament Church for Saturday, Nov. 3.

Anyone wishing to pay respects to Macaione’s family has been invited to call Peter H. Torello and Son Funeral Home between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 2.