Winkler, Kelly Awarded

The eighth annual Quinnipiac Athletics Award Banquet took place on April 30, 2003. Twnety three awards were handed out overall including Male and Female athlete of the year.

Ashlee Kelly, a member of the lady Bobcats’ basketball team, won Female Athlete of the Year. Kelly, a junior center, was the 2003 Northeast Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Year. She led the NEC with 19 double-doubles. This was possibly by her averaging 16.5 points and 12.1 rebounds per game. She led the league in rebounding and ranked fourth in the all of division I in this category. Because of Kelly’s outstanding season, the lady Bobcats were able to post their best record in 17 years, 18-10. Kelly is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Wade Winkler, a senior defenseman on the hockey team, won Quinnipiac’s Male Athlete of the Year. Winkler, along with being a key player for the Bobcats, became one of the elite defensemen in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. He finished the year with 14 goals which led all defensemen in the MAAC and also added 13 assists. He was also third in the MAAC in points. His 14 goals set single-season record for Quinnipiac defensemen. Winkler was the 2003 MAAC Defensive Player of the Year, helping the Bobcats to their third consecutive trip to the MAAC tournament finals and fifth consecutive 20-win season. Winkler is from Edmonton, Alberta.