Softball gets fourth double-header sweep of season

Quinnipiac softball added to its two game winning streak with a convincing 6-2 victory over Stony Brook on April 17th.

The Bobcats rallied early. With a runner on base in the first inning, sophomore Sarah Collins from Bedford, Massachusetts lined an RBI double down the left field line. She later added another double, knocking in two more runs in the 5th inning. Collins leads the team with five home runs and 22 RBI’s.

Credit certainly goes to the whole team for playing a fundamental game, resulting in three extra runs. Key bunts, sacrifice hits, and clutch hitting were the themes of the Bobcats victory.

Elizabeth Moriarity, a senior from Hillsborough, New Jersey said, “(Our) bats came at good times with runners on (base). I think this was a quality performance overall. (Our) pitching and defense was great.”

Moriarity, batting .405 with 17 RBI’s this season, was part of the defensive effort making two clutch plays ending Stony Brook’s scoring threats.

The pitching war ended with freshmen Kim Norman from Somersworth, New Hampshire going 6 and 1/3 for the Bobcats. She surrendered eight hits, two earned runs, two walks, and added seven strikeouts to her season total (22). In the 4th inning, with the bases loaded and two outs, Norman (5-3) got Stony Brook outfielder Amanda Cavitt to pop up ending the inning.

Melissa Reynolds (11-2) came in with one out in the 7th and slammed the door on Stony Brook, while recording her 4th save this season.

Quinnipiac also won the second game of the double header 3-2, which featured a Sarah Collins game winning home run.

The victories increase their win streak to four, while improving in the NEC standings to 6-5 and overall (22-11).

With a double header sweep of Wagner on Friday (4/17) the Bobcats can set a Division I single-season high in victories.