Update: senior week

May is just around the corner and a group of anxious seniors wait to kick off their last celebration as undergraduates, while Senior Week committee members finalize the closing details for the week.

During the meeting on April 11, committee members reviewed the overall schedule of events, reported on additional information for their event, passed out sign-up sheets for the information sessions and discussed the budget with nearly 30 days remaining.

Co-coordinators Felicity Melillo and Austin Ashe spoke with each event manager regarding activities to include for the event, food choices and prices, and additional materials needed.

“I expect this years Senior Week to be the best ever,” said Daniel Brown, committee adviser and assistant director of the Carl Hansen Student Center. “I feel that the committee and the Junior Reps are great, and have really put a lot of time into the week.”

Committee members were asked to attend all four information sessions during the week of April 14 to inform seniors about various materials, answer questions and to explain the rules and regulations composed for Senior Week.

Mean while, twelve junior representatives were recently chosen to assist the committee during Senior Week and attended the meeting to understand better their sense of duty.

Co-coordinators Ashe and Melillo are pleased to see the junior reps are quick learners and have made an effort to help.

“They have been working very hard in helping us stay organized during the 101 sessions,” said Melillo. “I know they will do a great job during the three days of senior week.”

Approximately 150 seniors attended the first information session, which ran smoother than the committee members had thought, according to Ashe. After seniors attended the meeting there was mixed opinions about the events and limitations for the week.

Some walked out with complaints.

“It’s a long ride to Rhode Island,” said Summer Branda, a senior biology major regarding the trip to Paddies. “People could get car sick.”

And others were anticipating the week.

“It will be the last three days to spend with my friends,” said Melissa Joseph, senior occupational therapy major. “I’m excited.”

Although some people have more to protest than praise about senior week, committee members cannot please everyone.

“There are complaints, but it is to be expected,” said Melillo. “It is extremely difficult to completely please over 500 people.”

The one worry on the committee member’s minds is the budget. This year’s fund is a bigger issue than last year, but the committee is hopeful that their decisions with the money will be enough.

“Our budget is very tight,” said Melillo. “Last year’s senior week budget was significantly greater than this year, so we are doing the best we can to make sure the seniors enjoy their last three days as Quinnipiac undergraduates.”

Now that arrangements are made and the schedule of events is in place, committee members can sit back and enjoy the week.

“After all the hard work we’ve put into this week to make it fun,” said senior committee member Jackie Langenstein. “I just want to enjoy myself and celebrate with my friends.”

For more information go to the Senior Week website, www.quinnipiac.edu/seniorweek.xtml,