Weir stuns all at Master’s Tournament

Master’s History was made on Sunday, but it’s not what was expected. Tiger Woods was the heavy favorite to win for the third straight time at Augusta National but two relatively unknown golfers had a different idea.

Mike Weir and Len Mattiace spoiled Tiger’s chances of a three-peat.

Weir, a Canadian, played a mistake free final round to off his competitors. He refused to buckle under pressure, making a 15-foot birdie put on the 13th hole, hitting a wedge shot within 5 feet on the 15th hole and making keys pars along the way, none bigger than the 6-footer he had on the 18th to force the playoff. ”It was probably the biggest shot of my life,” he said

Mattiace brought drama to the final nine holes with phenomenal shots that took him to the edge of a stunning victory with a 7-under 65.

The first playoff hole was the 10th.

Mattiace pulled his approach into the trees, chipped 30 feet, nearly ran his par putt off the green, and choked back tears when he realized what he had lost. ”I know one’s going to win and one’s going to lose, and I’m OK with that,” Mattiace said.

Tiger Woods made it to the illustrious green jacket ceremony for the third straight year, however, it was to slip the coveted prize around Weir’s shoulders.

Woods, considered by many to be the best golfer in the world, wasn’t able to put together his usual performance of flawless play thus costing him his third straight green jacket.

Only four strokes behind to start the final round and with a chance to make history with his third straight Masters