Pumpkin spice and everything nice

Fall is full of big choices: the presidential election, living situations for next year, internships, and the mother of them all, where to buy the best pumpkin spice coffee around. This autumn treat gives us that much needed wake up call, and the motivation to make it to those brisk morning classes. But with every coffee shop advertising the same cup o’ joe, it’s hard to find time to discover the best one. At last, your prayers have been answered.

[media-credit id=1733 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Dunkin’ Donuts: Can you melt a donut? Because Dunkin’ Donuts might have to make this brew. A small is 160 calories with just cream, no sugar (you don’t need it). This super sugary version of pumpkin spice is perfect for an early bird with a sweet tooth. The coffee has subtle hints of vanilla and cinnamon, as well as spicy bursts of flavor. Despite its sweetness, it balances well with the strong coffee taste. This blend gets 4.5 beans out of 5 on the coffee scale.

Whitney Donut: The small is roughly 100 calories (with cream). If you’re looking for more spice than a sweet pumpkin taste, you’re in luck. This pumpkin spice has a kick of chai flavor that is refreshing and eye-opening (literally, you’ll be wired). The taste is authentic and strong. It’s extremely rich in flavor, even with cream. If you’re getting this coffee, I suggest investing in a couple of donuts first. On a scale of 1 to 5, it comes in at a 3.

Starbucks: Two-hundred-forty calories of smooth, rich, and totally tasty java. This Pumpkin Spice Latte is the George Clooney of coffee. This latte doesn’t contain pumpkin spice coffee, but instead a pumpkin spice flavored syrup (They cheated, but we’ll ignore it because it’s delicious). It’s sweet and a bit spicy, but the spice is mellowed out when you taste the mocha flavor. Yes, mocha. However, it is a tad too decadent for the morning, so save this sweet and spicy thing for dessert. If you’re running late for class, skip Starbucks. The line at any time of day is too long. It gets a solid 4 beans out of 5.

Giant View Cafe: A small with cream is about 100 calories, and this coffee is as bitter as McKayla Maroney receiving the silver medal at the 2012 Olympics. Definitely scoop up some sugar packets for this one. There is the slightest taste of pumpkin spice, but it is overshadowed by the strong burned coffee taste. However, if you want your quick fix for under $1.50, you’re in luck. Giant View has the cheapest prices, but you can taste the cheap quality. It gets 1.5 beans out of 5.