RNC: Let Us Convene Together

Blog by Amy Maciejowski

Attending the Republican National Convention has been an exciting and exhilarating experience. But, I am sure if I were at the Democratic Convention, my reaction would be the same. Working with the media during the Convention, I had a rather different experience than many individuals watching the Convention from their televisions or the delegates watching from the floor.Even if no one believed in the words being said, I found it hard for anyone to not get swept up in the camaraderie between people and individuals, thoughts and ideologies.

In my classes while with the Washington Center, we discussed many conflicting opinions as to whether conventions are still relevant. Being a bystander at the event, I found that right now, conventions might not be vital to any nomination of the presidential or vice presidential candidate, but it is a useful event for the solidarity of Americans. While on the floor standing behind the New Jersey delegation as Gov. Chris Christie took the stage, it was obvious to see the connection and the exuberance that that state displayed. In the current time of the nation, amidst hurricanes and mass shootings, the Convention becomes a time for individuals to come together to inspire change in the nation.

Whether it is the Democratic or Republican Party, a conglomeration of individuals who believe in leading and governing our nation is a GOOD thing. While it is true that separate conventions divide the parties, they do not divide the belief that an individual deserves to love where they are. Conventions are a good example of the ability for people to share their opinions, to discuss solutions and to understand that WE CAN discuss this and appreciate this freedom which enables us to do so.

Confidence is what is needed in the nation, and conventions might be a stepping stone because they enable citizens to rally for the nation. They are not meant to be watched by only one party, because there are stories being told that transcend political parties. For example, the Olympian athlete took the stage and talked about his favorite memory of the Olympics: carrying the World Trade Center flag. For something that hurt the entire nation, if anyone didn’t shed a tear during his description of that event, shouldn’t consider themselves American.