5 Ways to De-Stress

The final haul of the semester is underway and the combination of assignments and finals never fails to stress everyone out. To avoid a complete breakdown, check out these tips.

1. Study for more than one test each day. “A common mistake students make is to pour all of their energy into one class at a time. This means that by the end of the week, they have no energy left for those later exams and papers,” said Tracy Hallstead, an academic specialist at The Learning Center. “What we recommend for students is that they study for two subjects one day, three subjects the next so they are not teaching themselves unfamiliar material the night before the exam.”

2. Exercise. “Even just a 20-minute walk outside will clear your mind,” Tami Reilly, associate athletic director for fitness and wellness, said. There will be finals week yoga sessions from May 6 to May 8 every day on the Mount Carmel campus and Sunday to Monday at York Hill. Check each location for times.

3. Take breaks while you work. Senior Aya Porte, a resident assistant, recommends taking a few minutes between assignments to close your eyes and focus on your breathing pattern. Count to 10 or let your mind wander; anything to temporarily get your mind off of school work. “It allows you to zone everything out and when you open your eyes again, you feel really refreshed,” she said.
4. Get the right amount of sleep.  The Mayo Clinic recommends that we sleep for at least seven or eight hours per night. Not getting a sufficient amount of sleep increases the chances of getting sick after being exposed to a virus, such as the common cold. Lack of sleep can also affect how fast you recover if you do get sick, and being sick during finals is never fun.
Tackle the unknown first. Make sure to clear up any questions you have by either asking your professor during the last week of classes or going to a tutor at The Learning Center. Then, make your own study guide that prioritizes aspects of each exam you are unfamiliar with.

5. Tackle the unknown first. Make sure to clear up any questions you have by either asking your professor during the last week of classes or going to a tutor at The Learning Center. Then, make your own study guide that prioritizes aspects of each exam you are unfamiliar with.

Good luck with everything and have a great summer!