Women’s lacrosse loses final non-conference game of season

The final non-conference matchup of the season for the women’s lacrosse team started off well for Quinnipiac but from then on, it was all Fairfield as the Bobcats lost, 11-5, Sunday afternoon at the Quinnipiac Lacrosse and Field Turf.

After coming back from a 5-1 deficit midway through the first half, the Stags scored with 45 seconds left to increase the lead to 6-4 at halftime. Quinnipiac (7-6) answered scoring just two minutes into the second half as freshman standout Kyra Ochwat scored her 28th goal of the season.

“We knew she was going to be a good player coming in and she’s really working hard and stepping up her game and adjusting to what the other teams are doing and she’s doing what we need her to do,” Quinnipiac assistant coach Brittany Hauser said. “She is doing great for us.”

Four different Bobcats scored on the day, as Lianne Toomey netted two goals, while Marissa Caroleo, Kearney Sneath and Ochwat each tallied one goal.

“I think today was a good day for some of our younger players to see the field and get some experience and I think going in to our last two conference games at least they have some experience and if we need to call on them they will be able to play,” Hauser said.

Quinnipiac will get two of their top offensive players back, in points leader Sarah Allen and Michaela Tinsley, when league play resumes Wednesday afternoon as the Bobcats host Central Connecticut.

Fairfield (10-3) was led by top face-off player and offensive leader Melanie Raso who recorded a hat trick. Meanwhile, Courtney Chmil, Jamie Leone and Amanda Best netted two goals.

Toomey got the scoring started for the Bobcats, as her goal just 3:08 into play gave Quinnipiac a 1-0 lead. Fairfield then scored five consecutive goals to take a 5-1 lead. The Bobcats responded with three-straight scores to cut the deficit to, 5-4, with two minutes remaining in the half.

Following Ochwat’s goal to open the second half, Quinnipiac could not get another shot past Fairfield goaltender, Katie Keenan for the remainder of the game. The Stags netted five goals in the second half to put the game out of reach.

Freshman goaltender Samantha Tilts stopped six of 17 shots for Quinnipiac while her counterpart Keenan saved six shots.