Quinnipiac homers mark NCAA record as they complete weekend sweep

The Quinnipiac Bobcats softball team hit four straight home runs in the first inning of game 1 of a doubleheader and went on to win both games against the Sacred Heart Pioneers 12-7 and 5-4 Sunday afternoon.

Alex Alba, Mina Duffy, Katie Alfiere, and Nikki Barba hit the four straight home runs which tied an NCAA record for consecutive home runs. All of them were solo shots except Alba’s, which was a three-run homer. Quinnipiac (15-9, 4-2 NEC) went on to score a total of eight runs in the inning.

“I think our players came ready to hit the ball today after facing a few tough pitchers last week,” Quinnipiac head coach Germaine Fairchild said.

Sacred Heart (10-18, 3-3 NEC) came to within three in the fourth inning, but Bobcats junior Jacquie Ristow hit a two-run double to give the team a five run lead. Quinnipiac finished the game with six homers and had seven on the day.

“I’ve never seen this many home runs hit in the same day,” said senior Mina Duffy. “It was historic.”

The Bobcats had to come from behind in game 2. Trailing 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth, Quinnipiac scored four runs to take a 4-3 lead.

“Our veterans did a very good job of keeping the team focused in the dugout,” Fairchild said. “They knew that it was going to be a fight.”

Senior pitcher Heather Schwartzburg pitched seven innings of four-run ball with six strikeouts in the winning effort. She now has nine wins on the season with a 1.29 ERA.

Quinnipiac will host their next game against Fairfield Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.