Looking good while doing good

Glitz 4 Good has presented a fantastic opportunity to give back as the girls of Greek life prepare for formal season.

Junior Nicole Serrante and sophomore Kacie McCreesh teamed up to raise money by styling hair for all of the Greek life formal events. Glitz 4 Good asks for a minimum donation of $15 with seventy-five percent of the proceeds being donated to FARA, the Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance, and 25 percent to the Coach Van Scholarship fund.

The Coach Van Scholarship is for student athletes in memory of Ralph J. Van Nostrand who recently passed away from cancer. Van Nostrand was the father of a friend, and in honor of him, Glitz 4 Good wanted to support his fund, Serrante said.

“This scholarship is in his memory because just as he never gave up in his long battle with cancer, he would want to help someone else pursue their educational dreams and never give up,” Serrante said.

Friedreich’s Ataxia is, “a debilitating, life-shortening, degenerative neuro-muscular disorder. About one in 50,000 people in the United States have Friedreich’s ataxia,” according to the FARA website.

Serrante works as a personal care assistant for two girls suffering from the disease, but calls them her friends.

“I spend 10 hours a week with them and we recently went on vacation together,” Serrante said.

Serrante’s friends, Sam and Alex, are both in wheelchairs and have slurred speech, with an expected lifespan of about 40 years.

“The reason why I wanted to do this is because these girls are my really good friends,” Serrante said. “It really hit me that there is no cure when I realized that they’re 25 years old.”

The first Greek formal was this past Saturday and the girls already have 30 more appointments lined up. However, Glitz 4 Good is not limiting its services specifically to formal events. To set up an appointment, simply email [email protected] with a date and time that works best, and pictures of what hairstyle you would like.