John Mayer cancels, O.A.R. remains

John Mayer cancels, O.A.R. remains

For Quinnipiac students looking for an alternative to Student Programming Board’s spring concert in John Mayer, they will have to think again. Mayer canceled his tour, and is taking a hiatus from live performing due to throat complications.

[media-credit name=”John Mayer” align=”alignright” width=”200″][/media-credit]The concert, which was scheduled at the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford on April 22, coincided with SPB’s spring concert O.A.R. While some students opted for Mayer, SPB Mainstage Chair Jamie Kloss said the organization was unaffected by the competing concert.

“When we heard that John Mayer’s show was scheduled for the same night as O.A.R., we did not lose any enthusiasm for our show. It was out of our hands,” Kloss said. “No matter what else is going on that night, whether on- or off-campus, we are very excited for O.A.R. and will continue to promote the concert for what it is: a terrific rock show at a great price for students.”

SPB’s Wake The Giant concert featuring O.A.R. will take place April 22, with students able to still buy tickets online.

According to a statement from Mayer on his website, the singer is taking an “indefinite break” from live performing. This follows a post in September of last year, when Mayer told fans his latest album would be delayed due to granulomas developed in his throat. Although he underwent surgery and completed his upcoming album “Born and Raised,” the current issues are “one giant pain in the ass,” he said.

“I’m pretty emotionally burnt out at the moment, but please know how hard I tried to resolve this and how disappointed I am that I can’t perform this record yet,” Mayer said. “Nothing feels worse than having to break the stage down before the performance, and I mean nothing.”

Those seeking a refund should refer to whatever site they purchased their tickets for a refund, according to Mayer’s website. According to Live Nation, Internet and phone orders will be automatically refunded.