Women’s basketball stays strong till end

Day in and day out the woman’s basketball team plays with heart and class. Despite a record that shows more losses than wins, the girls on the team have stayed positive and continue to work toward their goals as the season nears its close.
“The girls have come ready to practice, and I have been pleased with their attitudes. They are very close, and it’s tough to hang in there, but we are looking forward to winning 3 games in March and making it to the tournament,” said Head woman’s coach Tricia Sacca-Fabbri.
Captains Theresa Sanchez, Kara Cassidy, and Katie Caputi have been great leaders to the team, and an inspiration as well.
“Recently we named Katie Caputi a third captain. Her hard work has paid off, and she is really going out with an improved career,” said Sacca-Fabbri.
“They really have a pulse on the team and I am pleased with their leadership on and off the court.”
Teammates speak highly of their captains as well. “This year things have not gone as consistent as expected but the leadership and motivation from these 3 girls have kept us together as a team,” said senior Loren McCarthy.
Walking through the athletic center each day you can hear the girls calling out plays, and running sprints. The more hard work you put in the greater the outcome will be for the team.
The hard work has paid off for one player in particular.
“Sara Esidore just burst onto the scene for us this season. From her freshman to sophomore year I would say that she is most improved,” said Sacca-Fabbri of the 6 foot forward from Portland, Conn.
While the girls work hard on the court to play their best, there are also people working off the court to help them every way they can. Assistant coaches Karen Byrne, Rachael McGrath and volunteer assistant John Vigliotti, work hard behind the scenes.
“We work well together, and we have very good chemistry. It’s an honest relationship, and we have worked really hard. We respect each other and I really appreciate what the assistants do for the program,” said Sacca-Fabbri.
With 2 games remaining in the regular season against in state rivals Sacred Heart and Central Connecticut the girls will continue to stay positive and work hard to get the end result they are looking for.