Men’s Basketball: Quinnipiac falls to Lehigh

James Feldeine and Justin Rutty combined for more than half of Quinnipiac’s points in Quinnipiac’s 79-71 loss to Lehigh Wednesday night in Bethlehem, Pa.

Feldeine scored 22 points against the Mountain Hawks, his second 20-point game in a row, and also brought down 10 rebounds to lead the team. Rutty scored 19 (9-for-12 from the field) points and collected eight boards.

“We’ve got to do it on a consistent basis,” Quinnipiac assistant coach Sean Doherty said of the team’s offense. “On defense, we can’t take plays off.”

Quinnipiac went into halftime trailing by one, and then quickly grabbed the lead in the second half on a jump shot by junior Jonathan Cruz.

Neither team led by more than two points during the first seven minutes of the half until Lehigh pulled away with a 6-0 run. The Mountain Hawks held its largest lead – 12 points – with 3:22 remaining. The Bobcats brought the deficit down to four with 13 seconds left in the game, but Lehigh had possession and padded its lead by hitting seven of its last 10 foul shots.

Doherty was pleased with freshman forward Jamee Jackson’s despite limited playing time.

“Jackson started to make that little baby hook,” he said. “He got a little flow going, but he started getting into foul trouble.”

Jackson led all bench players with 21 minutes, but committed three fouls and was one of four Bobcats with three or more in the game.

The loss evened Quinnipiac’s record at 1-1, while Lehigh earned its first win of the year in the third game of the young season.