‘Safe House’ will thrill viewers

Safe House,” starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds, tells the story of Tobin Frost (Washington), an ex-CIA agent and dubbed traitor. Frost acquires a highly important file on the CIA that he intends to sell to the highest bidder. Word quickly gets out that Frost has indeed acquired the file, and he becomes the most wanted man in South Africa.

Frost turns himself into the U.S. Embassy, which causes him to be brought to a safe house in Cape Town, South Africa, kept by Matt Weston (Reynolds). Once in the safe house, Frost is interrogated by agents regarding his whereabouts for the last 10 years. The safe house is soon infiltrated by bounty hunters looking for both Frost and the file. Weston and Frost are the only two that narrowly escape the exchange of gunfire, and soon go on the run.

Weston soon discovers that sometimes you can’t tell the difference between who is good and who is bad, when he discovers that one of his superior’s dirty dealings may be evidenced on the file. Weston is then torn between doing what is right or saving his own life — all while the slick-mouthed Frost stays calm, cool and collected while working on his own escape plan.

Ordinarily, anything with Denzel Washington is a hit, and “Safe House” is no exception. The film’s plot is a classic tale of a good guy and bad guy who indirectly work together to make it out alive — and in the process learn about each other, and the world they thought they knew.

While “Safe House” may remind audiences of numerous past action movies, the film still holds its own. Though “The Vow” was correctly predicted to take the No. 1 spot in this past weekend’s box office, it is no surprise to see “Safe House” fill the second spot. “Safe House” proves that two excellent actors can turn any basic action movie plot into an exciting, money-making thriller.

Movie Rating: 

3.5 out of 5