Valentine’s Day is just another day

Not to sound cynical, but February 14 is a Tuesday, and not much more. I believe in happy couples, chocolates, flowers and note cards, but the concept of Valentine’s Day continues to confuse me.

I fondly remember my fifth grade class Valentine’s Day party. We each made a valentine for every other student in the class, and maybe another friend or two. We traded chocolates, stickers, temporary tattoos and heart-shaped erasers. There was no expectation of a romantic evening or dinner and a movie.

Anna Brundage

It is not that I don’t have expectations for Valentine’s Day because I have never had a boyfriend at this time of year, or because I’m jealous of the girls that do. Now that I’m older, I still see the value in telling someone you care, just not on one day out of the year.

I, like any other girl, will accept flowers on any day of the week. I’ll accept chocolate twice a day, and note cards are always a happy surprise. I am also the girl who randomly buys loved ones coffee creamer because I know you’re low or leaves a post-it note on your desk wishing you good luck on a test or to have a good day.

It might just be me, but I am not interested in large public displays of affection. I’d rather have a quiet night in instead of a big to-do out. Last year I was perfectly content to watch HBO’s mini series Band of Brothers. In fact, it was my request.

There are 364 other days in a year — this year there are 365 others — to tell and show someone that you love him or her. Flower shops continue to sell roses, but I’m a fan of tulips and daisies, Hallmark and Papyrus still sell cards with hearts and love poems, and there is never a shortage of chocolate.

I’m not suggesting Valentine’s Day be abandoned as a holiday, but rather that we remember it is not the only day a year to express feelings for one another.