He’s got goals

Jean-Marc Beaudoin was named captain for the 2009-10 season at this year’s hockey banquet. Beaudoin, an assistant captain this past season, also won the team’s 7th Player Award, the Coach’s Award and the inaugural Academic Award.

In the 2008-09 season, he ranked third on the team in goals with 13 and fourth in assists with 14.

Beaudoin was recognized as a scholar-athlete for his studies as an entrepreneurship major and marketing minor, and for his participation in the hockey program at Quinnipiac. He will look to continue balancing his hockey schedule with his academics in his senior year.

The Quinnipiac Chronicle: What does it mean to you to be the captain for Quinnipiac hockey?
Jean-Marc Beaudoin: It’s an honor. We’ve had some great captains in the past. A little bit of pressure there, but I’m looking forward to the challenge. I’m really excited. We’re expected to be a great hockey team next year, and hopefully I can lead the team to success.

What type of leader are you?
I would say more lead by example. I’m a pretty positive guy.

You played under Reid Cashman, Jamie Bates and Dan Henningson. Are your leadership skills similar to theirs?
None of them are very vocal except Reid. But everybody else led by example, and I would put myself in that same category. We’ve had great success in the past, but I’m not satisfied. Hopefully I can do a little more than those guys, and I know Rand [Pecknold] has high expectations for me. Just to get everyone on board, and hopefully be a little more successful than we have in the past.

Building chemistry amongst the team is key, especially with 11 incoming freshmen – just getting those guys to buy in and having respect for our facilities, our coaching staff and our trainers.

Do you think you will feel any added pressure on the ice next year since you are the captain?
Maybe not so much on the ice, maybe off the ice. Like I said before, I’m up to the challenge and I think it will make me a better person and a better leader.

What type of hockey player would you consider yourself?
Maybe all-around. I’m not a superstar by any means, but I work hard. I’ll score the odd goal and make the odd play.

You won the Academic Award at this year’s hockey banquet. How do you balance your hockey schedule with your academics?
I think it is important to find a balance. You always have to find time for completing assignments. I think the biggest thing is just going to class. If you go to class, you’ll do fine. Especially being a student-athlete, there is a lot of pressure to succeed on the ice or on the field, but there’s a lot of pressure to succeed academically.

Throughout the years, that’s been the one challenge to find classes that fit within your schedule. But professors and advisors help you out through that, and you find a way.

Many of the team’s key contributors are graduating this year (Dan Henningson, Bryan Leitch, David Marshall and Bud Fisher). How do you think next year’s team will respond to that?
I think it’ll be great – especially our freshmen this year who are going to be sophomores. They didn’t get a huge role this year. There’s a lot of skill back there. And then the incoming freshmen, we have some of the top scorers in some of the Canadian junior leagues. I think [Brandon Wong] will have a great season, and hopefully I can contribute offensively too. In goaltending, we have two goalies coming in and [Dan Clarke] and Pat McGann have done a really good job for us. If we can all just buy in, I think we’ll be a scary team next year.

What are your personal goals as a captain for next year?
Obviously, I’m more of a team guy, but we want to win a championship. That’s been our goal every year. We came closest my freshmen year when we lost in the finals. Just getting a taste of that makes you hungrier and hungrier every year. We have big expectations next year. That’s where we want to be, and hopefully reach the frozen four.

For personal goals, obviously I want to contribute offensively. I’ll get my goals and my points, but keeping my plus-minus up – not be a liability defensively.

When you are in practice, are you the coach’s assistant?
For us it’s nice, because we have a lot of assistant coaches, and most of the the time they’re there. They take care of that for the most part. But I think as a captain, your job is to get the guys going – make sure they’re skating hard every drill, paying attention and leading by example with your work ethic.