Women’s LAX wins in double-OT

Quinnipiac senior attacker Nicole Fiore scored a game-winning goal with two seconds left in double overtime against the Robert Morris Colonials this past Saturday, giving the Bobcats their fifth straight victory.

Fiore’s goal gave her a hat-trick for the game. The goal came on junior attacker Katie Latonick’s fourth assist of the game. Freshman midfielder/attacker Devon Gibney led the team with a career-high five goals, while senior midfielder Ashley Valentine added three of her own.

Despite falling behind 7-4 at halftime, the Bobcats roared back by scoring six of the first seven goals of the second half, supplying the Bobcats with a two-goal lead.

Then the Colonials responded with a run of their own, scoring three unanswered goals in a span of 1:56 to regain the lead, 11-10. Gibney evened the score on her fifth and final goal with 4:10 remaining in regulation. Neither team could score a goal for the rest of regulation, so the game headed for overtime.

No players could squeak out a goal in the first overtime, so the two teams dove into a second extra period. The Bobcats did not lose possession once during the period, and shot seven times until Fiore finally ended the scoring drought.

Fiore bounced the ball past Colonial goalkeeper Erica Webb with just two seconds left to earn the Bobcats a 12-11 victory. It was Fiore’s second game-winning goal of the year, and it was her team-leading 32nd goal of the season. She also leads the Bobcats with 43 points and 48 shots on goal.

The win improved Quinnipiac’s record to 9-2 overall and 5-1 in the NEC, while Robert Morris dropped to 7-7 overall and 3-3 in the conference. Quinnipiac now stands one half game behind Mount St. Mary’s for first place in the NEC. Quinnipiac has already beaten the Mounts this season on April 5, by a score of 19-5.

The Bobcats will play host to in-conference opponent Wagner (4-9, 3-3 NEC) this Friday at 4 p.m.