Upstate upset: Men drop two

The Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey team worked plenty of overtime this weekend, but they will be coming home with nothing to show for it.

After losing last Friday to Cornell (15-4-4, 10-3-3 ECAC), 2-1, in overtime, the Bobcats dropped another overtime heartbreaker to Colgate (8-15-5, 3-10-3 ECAC) on Saturday, 3-2. With the losses, the Bobcats are now 7-7-2 in ECAC play, with an overall record of 14-12-2.

The Bobcats started off quickly against Cornell with a goal just 1:30 into the game. After a shot by Quinnipiac’s David Marshall was deflected by Big Red goalie Ben Scrivens, Brett Dickinson took the rebound and scored his first goal of the season. Quinnipiac was unable to find the net for the remainder of the game.

Cornell came back to tie it, 1-1, with 4:50 remaining in the first period. Taking advantage of a power play, Cornell’s Riley Nash passed the puck to his brother, Brendon, who shot it through the Quinnipiac defense and into the net.

With the game still tied at the end of regulation, the teams headed into overtime. Cornell finally broke through with 2:08 remaining in the extra period. After getting a pass from Brendon Nash, Cornell’s Evan Barlow fired a one-timer from the face-off circle that made it past Bobcat goalie Dan Clarke. The winning goal was Barlow’s third of the season.

Both teams received strong performances from their goalies. Scrivens recorded 25 saves for the Big Red, including three in overtime. Clarke allowed two goals on 18 shots in nearly 63 minutes of play.

Saturday night’s game against Colgate had the Bobcats experiencing déj