Roche paces women’s track

The Quinnipiac women’s indoor track team competed against some of the best teams in New England. Upon leaving the University of Rhode Island Invitational in Kingston, R.I., they scored several individual successes.

The first of the acclaimed winners wearing the blue and gold was senior Chelsea Bollerman, who captured the 1,000-meter race in a standout time of 2 minutes, 56.16 seconds.
This was not only more than a second faster than the second-place finisher Katherine Schock from Providence College, but it also qualified her to compete in the ECAC championship meet later in the season.

Not to be outdone, Morgan Roche crossed the finish-line in front of the rest of the field as well. In doing so, she set a freshman record in the 3,000-meter event.

Besides the two winners, other members of the indoor track team also finished very well. Freshman Katie Beam set a personal best time when she ran a fast 5:16.53 in the one-mile, and placed fourth in the race.

Similarly, Abbey Gosling set a personal best time in the 800 meters with a fifth-place time of 2:28.97.

Lastly, thanks to the profound efforts on the part of Beam, Bollerman, Gosling, and Amanda Duggan, the Quinnipiac distance medley relay team finished second to Rhode Island with a time of 12:38.95.

“We still have some work to do, but I am looking forward to the meets ahead of us this season,” coach Shawn Green told QuinnipiacBobcats.com.

The Bobcats next run at noon on Saturday in Hanover, N.H., at Dartmouth College.