Kerner sets scoring record in loss

Erin Kerner has a reason to smile despite the Quinnipiac women’s basketball team losing to Sacred Heart 69-57 Monday night at the TD Banknorth Sports Center.

The senior guard’s 16 points were enough to break the program’s Division I scoring record, previously held by Ashlee Kelly. Kerner’s 1,588 career points also moves her into second place on Quinnipiac’s all-time scoring list.

“I’ve been really blessed to have a great four years,” Kerner said. “It means a lot to me. I know it means a lot to my family. I’m very proud.”

Kerner passed Kelly’s previous mark when she hit a layup with 2:23 left in the first half. At the next timeout, the crowd was notified of Kerner’s achievement via the public address system.

The Bobcats, down by only four at halftime, came out flat in the second half. They committed two shot clock violations and eventually fell behind by 17. Kerner fouled out with 5:13 remaining in the game, and the Bobcats could only cut the Pioneers’ lead to nine before losing by 12.

The Bobcats drop to 12-6 (6-3 NEC) with the loss, while Sacred Heart improves to 12-7 (9-0 NEC). Quinnipiac will hope to rebound when they face Long Island at home on Saturday. The tip is scheduled for noon.