Quinnipiac women’s hockey loses first ECAC game to Clarkson

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team lost its first ECAC game of the season to Clarkson 3-0 Friday in Postdam, N.Y.

Quinnipiac (4-6-1, 3-1-1 ECAC) outshot Clarkson (6-3-4, 2-2-1 ECAC) 15-9 in the first period, but gave up a goal at the end. Bobcats goalie Victoria Vigilanti flirted with a shutout most of the first period, but with 51 seconds remaining in the period, Clarkson sophomore Brittany Snyder scored her first goal of the year when she took a loose puck and backhanded it into the net.

The Bobcats missed chances to equalize in the second period. Clarkson committed three penalties in the period but was able to kill all of them. The best chance Quinnipiac had a shot to tie it was in the final seconds of the period. Freshman Nicole Kosta took a shot that was saved by Clarkson’s goalie Erica Howe. Howe had 27 saves in the game overall, while Vigilanti had 19.

The Golden Knights scored their final two goals in the third period. Sophomore defender Vanessa Plante scored her second goal of the year with less than 14 minutes left. Three minutes later, Clarkson scored again when senior Juarina Baribeau scored a goal off a shot from junior Danielle Bordeau.

Quinnipiac’s next game is tomorrow when the Bobcats visit St. Lawrence at 4 p.m.