Quinnipiac men’s hockey ties Clarkson

Katie OBrien/Chronicle
Katie O’Brien/Chronicle
The Quinnipiac men’s hockey team (7-3-2, 1-1-2) tied Clarkson University (6-2-3, 1-1-1) 1-1 in an overtime ECAC match up.The Bobcats scored their only goal in the first period on a power play from Jeremy Langlois at 15:57. Matthew Peca passed the puck over to Scott Zurevinski who found Langlois on the right side of the goal, slamming the shot past the goalie netting his 10th goal of the season.Langlois is now tied for the second-most goals in NCAA Division 1 men’s hockey with 10. Notre Dame’s Anders Lee has 11 goals.

Peca’s assist on the only Bobcat goal continues his point streak to 11 consecutive games. Peca is tied with Kellen Jones for third on the team in scoring with 12 points.

Katie O'Brien/Chronicle

“He was great tonight,” head coach Rand Pecknold said about Peca. “He got a point tonight, and he almost had a couple more, almost won in overtime. Pretty good for a true freshman. He just gets better and better every week. Even more than that I was very happy with his defensive play.”

Quinnipiac had several scoring opportunities throughout the game. The Bobcats outshot Clarkson 44-11 and had seven power-play opportunities throughout the game, only scoring on one. The last power play opportunity occurred with two minutes left in the third period. The Bobcats took six shots during this two minute run but could not find the net.

“With that many shots you’d expect to get some goals, but their goalie played pretty well. I thought our offense did well,” Langlois said. “All three, four lines were going tonight which is good to see. So hopefully we can bring this into tomorrow to get some more goals.”

Bobcat goalie Eric Hartzell stopped 10 of the 11 shots on goal. Paul Karpowich had 43 saves in the game — 23 of which came in the third period.

“I thought we played well tonight,” Pecknold said. ”I think we did a lot of things well, certainly the shots indicate that. I think we are disappointed we only got a point, but we played well.”

Clarkson scored its only goal at 4:25 in the second period which would eventually send the game into overtime.

The Bobcats return to action Saturday Nov. 12 to take on St. Lawrence at 4 p.m. at the TD Bank Sports Center.