Quinnipiac quickly stops flood in Crescent

Kim Green

The Crescent 150 women wore rainboots to move around their room after a pipe burst Thursday night, causing a flood. But the university resolved the flooding problem in a hurry.

On Thursday at 11 p.m. the women of Crescent 150 were settling down for the night when a strange bubbling sound coming from the toilets caught them off guard.

“It smelt pretty gross in here. I mean, it wasn’t just toilet water, but sewage,” said Stephanie Osmanski, a resident of Crescent 150.

The suite’s residents noticed that the toilets had been bubbling that day and decided to file a work request with facilities. Within an hour, the toilets had begun to overflow into the hallway and into the back two bedrooms. Shower curtains, floor mats and towels were drenched as the residents geared in rain boots tried to barricade the water with towels but had little success.

The women contacted security, and an officer arrived within 15 minutes of the call, Osmanski said.

The residents were evacuated from the room while it was being cleaned with the help of Residential Life to a suite adjacent to theirs for the evening. The women continued to use the bathroom facilities until Saturday.

The flooding was caused by a broken sanitary line outside of Crescent suites 150 and 155 near the volleyball court. The line was repaired by 4 p.m. the next day.

The university took complete responsibility for the damage and inconvenience the flood had caused the residents of the suite. All personal items were sent to the MVP laundry service on campus and returned by Monday.

“This is one thing that university managed to do right,” said Amanda Pacciotti, a resident of Crescent 150.

Jon Terry, assistant director of facilities for the York Hill Campus, is committed to assisting the needs of the students living in Crescent 150.

“Unfortunately, there is no preventive measure that could have been done to prevent the broken sanitary line, but we will respond to these situations as quickly as possible to minimize the impact for students living in the building,” Terry said.