Best Kept Secret: Fright Haven

With Halloween less than three weeks away, the haunted season is in full swing in the New Haven area. This year, one of Connecticut’s largest and most frightening attractions can be found at Fright Haven, an indoor walking tour that features live actors in three separate haunted houses all in one location. If you’re searching for a good scare, Fright Haven provides screams for every taste.

In Dead End Manor, visitors attend a Halloween Ball by invitation from the fearsome Count Drake Romania Dudley. Unfortunately, Dead End Manor’s past is marred by the fate of a similar ball that took place two hundred years ago, and ended with the bloody disappearance of every guest in attendance. If vampires and gothic undead charm appeal to your fears, then Dead End Manor will not disappoint.

On the other hand, many people’s deepest fears lie in the painted faces and hysterical laughter of clowns. If circus shows conjure images horror for you, then the Circus of Evil attraction will fulfill your need to scream. Here, the clowns of circuses long-past come out to put on terrifying festivities for those who dare to enter their circus tent.

If neither undead blood-drinkers nor maniacal circus freaks are the stuff of your nightmares, Fright Haven can still provide scares. In the experimental Frightmare Fear Institute, visitors are exposed to Achluophobia, or fear of the dark. In this pitch-black pit, the greatest fears of the imagination are conjured in the darkness, invoking some of the greatest screams in all of Fright Haven. This attraction shows that sometimes, the human mind is the most petrifying place of them all.

When you are ready to get into the Halloween spirit, keep Fright Haven in mind. Nearby and affordable, this seasonal secret has something to appeal to everyone. Tickets can be purchased for just $20 to see all three attractions, or $10 per single attraction on Thursdays and Sundays. There are also special rates for groups of fifteen or more. Fright Haven operates nightly Thursday through Sunday from now until Halloween. For more information, visit www.frighthaven.com or call 203-795-4737.